Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Reading Through Galatians

For about three weeks now I have had the book of Galatians on my heart. I have no idea why. I don't know what sparked my interest in this book, but decided that I would start reading it and just tear apart what I was getting from it.
I am a HUGE fan of reading commentaries and different authors who are much smarter than I with much more knowledge and experience, but I have just been personally challenged lately to really open up the Word and figure IT out for myself.

So here goes. I'm taking one chapter at a time and just figuring out the parts that really stick out to me.

Gal. 1:10
For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.

This hit me at the core! I am the biggest people pleaser I've ever known! I work so hard to not disappoint my parents, my friends, my boss. I am constantly working to make others happy. Throwin' this out there right now. You can NEVER make everyone happy. You will NEVER be able to be all things to all people. You will fail and people will be disappointed with you! There is a lot of pressure that comes with living this life also!

I was so convicted by this verse because it hit me right away that I am so concerned with what others think of me and making sure that I am "good enough". The fact that the opinion of man suddenly became more important to me than the opinion of God absolutely breaks me to even say that and acknowledge it in my life.
While reading the blog of Pete Wilson last week he wrote a blog that simply stated "Information does not equate transformation". This kinda made the impact of Galatians 1:10 all the more real to me. The fact that I have recognized my need for the approval of man and realizing how wrong that is; acknowledging it is not enough. There must be a transformation.
So I'm working on it and praying for God to show me ways to serve HIM.

1:11-12
For I would have you know, brothers, that the gospel that was preached by me is not man's gospel. 12 For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

This has been a hard issue for me to not be ignorant about. It has really bothered me how some who are in the ministry that have gone to seminary put one seminary against another. As if someone is not qualified or AS qualified if they didn't attend seminary where someone else deems legit!
I have such a strong opinion on this and pray that only the truth of my conviction will come through on this part.

I truly believe that Paul is showing the legitimacy of his speech comes from Christ alone. From the teachings he has gotten directly from Jesus. Not from man.
There's something in that. There is something that happens in the heart of someone who has truly struggled with the real-deal-raw-issues of life and can be on the other side and say "Not only was I there and do I know where you're coming from, but here is what our response to Christ should be through this."
It speaks so much to me that the disciples were just real people. They weren't working in a church. They didn't have pretty clothes. Some of them not even accepted by culture, but Jesus knew that that's exactly who He came to reach.
I am so convicted that if we are not reaching out to the least of these then we have completely failed in our calling as a Christ follower.

Here are some of my thoughts. I would love to hear yours.

I am anxious to continue reading through this book and allowing Christ to change my heart with His will and His purpose.

No comments: