Monday, December 14, 2009

Galatians 4

Trekking on through Galatians and am amazed so much by what God is showing me. Both through His Word and in the peace that comes realizing He is still offering grace today. It seems like a lot of this book has been Paul reminding the Galatians about the God whom they have believed and in a sense telling them to grow up!

v. 4 But when the time arrived that was set by God the Father, God sent His Son, born among us of a woman, born under the conditions of the law so that he might redeem those of us who have been kidnapped by the law. (The Message)

The picture of God becoming man still amazes me. I mean, it'd be nice just to have someone on the sidelines of our life cheering us on and showing us the way. God did way more than that though. He left His throne in heaven to come down to earth. Still today he cares enough to crawl down into the foxholes of our life.

v. 11 I'm afraid I may have labored of you in vain. (The Message)

To hear Paul proclaim this absolutely breaks me. It makes me think so much of the people God has put in my life to mentor me. I have been so incredibly blessed by the men and women in my life that have poured their life into mine. I do not for a second take that for granted. I pray that as I grow in the Lord He will allow me to be that blessing in someone else's life.

v. 17 Those heretical teachers go to great lengths to flatter you, but their motives are rotten. They want to shut you out of the free world of God's grace so that you will always depend on them for approval and direction, making them feel important. (The Message)

This verse caught me on so many levels. First was really on the whole "people pleasing" level. It really is a dangerous place to be when we are seeking the approval of man. The second thing is I don't want to be this kind of teacher! I feel like I have some very controlling aspects to my own personality and that is so detrimental to the body of Christ. Christ has come to set all men free from the bondage of the law! We are to all live in that freedom!!

No comments: