Monday, December 7, 2009

Galatians 3

I absolutely love Paul's tone in this. I read it in the ESV and got to the end and had one of those "What in the world did I just read?!" Went back and read it in the message and understood it all over again!

The main gist of this is Paul going back and reminding the believers of whom they have believed! It's so easy for us in our life to begin "living for God" like it's something we do. Actions we take or things we say. Paul is totally throwing that mentality out the window here!

v.2-4 Let me put this question to you: How did your new life begin? Was it by working your heads off to please God? Or was it by responding to God's Message to you? Are you going to continue this craziness? For only crazy people would think they could complete by their own efforts what was begun by God. If you weren't smart enough or strong enough to begin it, how do you suppose you could perfect it? Did you go through this whole painful learning process for nothing? It is not yet a total loss, but it certainly will be if you keep this up! (The Message)




So many times in my personal life I just kinda go on auto-pilot and figure each decision out by what fits in "the box". Does this follow my plan? Is this going to get my to my projected goal? Is this a safe move? In the process of weighing out all variables it will often times hit me.....well not often...sometimes.....okay, occasionally, I will stop and realize that I am making decisions based on what is safe.

It has recently just been gently spoken to me that God doesn't get to show off when we live in the "safe". He does his biggest work when all the factors are there as humans to fail. When there is absolutely no possible way it can be done. THAT is when we get to say "To God alone be the glory". I think this is what Paul is going for here:

5-6Answer this question: Does the God who lavishly provides you with his own presence, his Holy Spirit, working things in your lives you could never do for yourselves, does he do these things because of your strenuous moral striving or because you trust him to do them in you? Don't these things happen among you just as they happened with Abraham? He believed God, and that act of belief was turned into a life that was right with God.

God provides for us because he's God and for no other reason than that! He loves us with a love that we will never be able to comprehend. He blesses us because of His love for us. Nothing that we do will make him bless us more!

I pray that I will live in this truth! Live TODAY in this truth! Knowing that the God of the universe loves me with an undying love and live in complete obedience to Him and his will.

No comments: