Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Is it REALLY the MOST wonderful time of the year?

Cannot believe that some stores have had Christmas decorations up for about two weeks now....and we're just now in DECEMBER!!!!! CRAZY!

This Holiday season has been kinda weird for the Carlson fam. With Ben & Rebecca both being married and having other families to go to, it's weird for me and the folks. It's made me instead of feeling real sorry for myself (which believe me, I'll do it on the drop of a hat!) more I have realized how many people the holidays really aren't a fun time for.
I am so blessed for all the times I have shared with my family and the fun times we do have when we’re together.

I have so many friends who have broken families or their family just doesn't like being together. The holidays aren't fun. It's not fun to be with family that you have avoided at all cost during the year. The family that you ignore on the caller id every time you see their name come up. The family that you would not even want to sit next to in church! Yeah....THAT family! You're now gonna have dinner with them and act like you like them. Sweep every family problem under the rug and life is wonderful.

So what’s so wonderful about this time of year anyway? I mean seriously. Family problems coming to the surface. Never knowing what to get someone! Going in debt until next summer! Really?! The MOST wonderful time of the year?

There are some members in every family who in our minds we have deemed that THEY are the ones that have done that absolute unforgivable sin….by our measure of course! What do you think about Mary & Joseph, I mean not everyone believed when Jesus was born that it was actually Him that was THE Messiah. What if there were members of their family that didn’t believe? How do you think their Christmas celebrations were? I mean the whole “reason for the season” was the whole reason why they didn’t even want to be together!

You know what I love about this. JESUS! Jesus was right in the middle of the dysfunctional family. I mean, seriously. Look at his genealogy. No secrets there! I love that Jesus was right in the middle of it.

Just like with our families! He crawls right in the middle of our dysfunction. Gets in the middle of our hurt. In the middle of our ugliness and hidden sins.

And what does he offer us? Love. Love unconditional. And what’s better than that is he offers forgiveness. If anyone knows anything about dysfunction it’s Jesus Christ.

I am so in awe of this great savior that CHOOSES to love me. Despite my ugliness. Despite my bitterness towards life. Despite my hurt and paint. Despite of……me. Jesus. The Saviour of the world. Loves……me.

No comments: