Monday, January 19, 2009

Small Groups

This has pretty much consumed my life the past 2 months! I didn't realize what a task this was going to be until I began! Not sure that I have completely mastered the task, but God has amazed me at how he has worked through me in order to get everything needed done!
My pastor gave me a book to read about small groups and an almost idiot proof way to organize them! =) The title of the book is Activate by Nelson Searcy and Kerrick Thomas. They are both pastors of the Journey Church in NY. www.journeymetro.com I never expected a book about small groups to challenge me to the core! It did! I just want to share one of the things that kicked me in the butt!
"When you ask someone to lead a group, you are not asking that person to help you out; you are offering the opportunity to embark on a spiritual adventure, to make a difference, to engage in what God created them to do."
YEAH! So how bout I HATE asking people to help me. Hate it! I have always wanted to do things on my own. It's not a pride thing at all, which most of you are probably thinking "yeah right!". Seriously though. I have always been the type of person to rather do things myself than ask for help. A "pride" issue may be closer to it!
This statement alone empowered me beyond anything anyone has ever said to me in my life. I suddenly looked at calling people and asking them to be a small group leader in a whole different light. I was excited to ask people to lead. There were few that said no, but I never felt knocked down because of it.
I feel like I am in the middle of a HUGE learning curve in my life. It is exciting, adventurous, and empowering! I have never been more certain of where I am now and more confident in the abilities that God has given me!

I LOVE MY GOD!!!

No comments: