Monday, February 22, 2010

John McArthur and a trip to St. Louis

I have decided to take some of this down time that I've been given and read as much as possible. As in a previous post I mentioned how many books I'm reading right now. Totally out of control! I am happy to report that two of those I have completed.

One that I am focusing in on right now is The Gospel According to Jesus by John MacArthur. My friend Mark loaned me his copy and I am devouring it right now. Growing up in church there are certain things that you just know. You don't know why you know them. Who told them to you. Or how they're true. But it doesn't change the fact that's what you've grown up believing.

Probably just in the past year I felt like I have been bombarded with theology of Christ. I was completely opposed to it at first. I didn't want to hear any of it. I was right, they were wrong, what more do we need to discuss? Upon a recent trip back to St. Louis I was able to meet with a couple of sweet friends. Friends who have challenged me continually in my walk. Friends who know me inside and out. Friends that I completely trust with my heart and am willing to lay it on the line in front of them.

As we were visiting I started talking to them about some of this "theology" that I'd been hearing and wanted to know what they thought about it. I could tell by their question back to me of "What are your thoughts"; that we weren't going to be on the same team! =) We began talking and I laid out my struggles and hesitations. Instead of telling me what some great theologian had said my friend simply picked up his Bible and began reading Romans 9.

That immediately changed my attitude right there. I'd never had anyone point to scripture when they began their rant on theology. They always picked up their newest Keller book or a MacArthur book or quoted one of Piper's most recent sermons.

When we began reading and discussing Romans 9 I finally realized something that I'd never noticed before. The fact that I am ignorant to what scripture says! I read what I have always read. I read what "makes sense" to me. I read the parts that I like. I leave the rest for someone else.

I have very wise friends who know a great deal about the Bible and what it has to say. They have also read many more books than I have and studied more than I ever will about scripture and what the Gospel is truly about. (I'll share more tomorrow about what I learned in Romans 9)

The bottom line is: I was in the wrong. My defenses were up because I didn't want someone telling me I was wrong. Since this time I have truly tried to listen more honestly not to what others are telling me is truth, but to what the Lord is saying. I was completely ignoring Him because He wasn't who I thought he was.

What about you? Can you think of some things that you've been ignorant to merely because you didn't want to be wrong?

No comments: